A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Friday 24 July 2015

Equipment Update. A New Old Fire Steel.

One would think that with a bloke of my age & all the years I have been a woodsman, that there would not be any improvements to make to my gear. Then along comes something a little better than I have been using, & you realise that there are still improvements to be made.
Well I guess when you think about it, that is exactly as it was in the 18th century.
Another woodsman friend sent me an original fire steel, so I have swapped this original for the reproduction one I have been using for many years, & now carry the reproduction steel as a spare in the bottom of my knapsack. This original steel is about twice the size of my reproduction steel.
Keith.




1 comment:

Gorges Smythe said...

I like to see antiques USED when possible. It's what they were made for.