A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Monday 26 May 2014

Bathroom - History of the Home [2/4]



Interestingly enough, I still remember some of these items in our 18th century family home, and also in my Grandparents home in South Wales. Wash bowls were accompanied by water jugs in each bedroom. We even had a closed stool with a fancy embroidered top to the lid. 
When I moved to Australia and got married we lived a similar sort of lifestyle, though we did wash every day!  With no water on tap, water had to be carried in and was heated in large kettles over the open fire, suspended on chains and hooks hanging from an old buggy axle. The toilet was an ash can in an outhouse. Our three boys were bathed in a tin bath in front of the fire just as I was when I was a child. The outhouse was also equipped with a wash bowl and water jug. We lived this 18th century lifestyle for about 20 years.
Keith.

No comments: