A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Friday 16 December 2011

I'm Back!

But only just! Have you heard of post op people dieing from what they call "complications"? Well now I know what they mean! I have in the past several weeks been in two Sydney hospitals, St Vincents & St Luke's. The majority of the staff are foreign, most of these are from the Phillipines. I have nothing against there  being foreign staff, but when they are not sufficiently trained, & don't understand what you are saying, it not only is uncomfortable, but it is downright dangerous. I learnt two things: 1) Never assume the nurses & aids know what they are doing, and 2) Never assume that they are giving you the right medications. Ask them what that pill is for if you don't know, & keep track of your personal medications, because they haven't got a clue! Refuse medications if you have any doubt until you can speak with the doctor, and demand something be corrected or not done at all if common sense tells you something is wrong. I had to stay on top of treatment & meds every step of the way or I would still be there or 6 foot under!

11 comments:

rob waterman said...

glad to hear you're ok. that sounds terrifying!

Gorges Smythe said...

In this country, it's the foreign DOCTORS we have to worry about, but the effect is the same. Welcome back; glad you survived to blog another day; I wondered where you'd disappeared to!

Bob said...

Glad you're back, and hope your recovery is complete, and that you're free of pain and discomfort. :)

elmo iscariot said...

Damn!

Sorry about your experience, but very glad to have you back. Congratulations on an ultimately successful medical experience. ;)

Bob Mc said...

Looks like all did not go well. Glad you made it back.

editor said...

Glad you're back. I feared your absence was health related.

You're right — you have to be your own advocate. Hard to do when you're sick. I served that role for my dad recently and I shudder to think of anyone left on their own in any health care system, no matter how competent.

Jim Cornelius
www.frontierpartisans.com

Sandra Brake said...

Yep downright scary alright. Found that ourselves. The language and training issue makes me wonder how many people don't survive because of this.

Sandra Brake said...

AND I meant to say "glad you are back with us in cyberspace and recovering from your ordeal". : )

Keith said...

My thanks to you all, your consern and best wishes are very much appreciated.
Regards to all, Keith.

Ramana Rajgopaul said...

Nice to see you back LL. My best wishes for some activity in the days to come.

My own meeting with my surgeon will be on the 20th and I hope to be released from the house arrest. If I am not out celebrating, I will blog about it on the same day, or the next day.

The Last Frontier said...

Glad you are back and doing so much better. What an experience in the hospital. Unfortunately, it is not at all uncommon. I was a nurse for years, and am very glad that I'm no longer doing that. It is dangerous. You are so right about the medical staff (nurses and doctors) not knowing what they are doing. When patients are straight out of surgery and drugged up, they are terribly vulnerable. Billing is another nightmare all together. I've seen many people get bills for services and supplies that they never received.
But, glad you survived. Stay away from hospitals! :)
Jenny in Alaska