A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Sunday 29 May 2011

Pitch, for ship & costrel. A Link.

Some years ago I purchased a leather costrel from a chap in the England. This was before I had heard of the Reverend. Anyway, the water in this costrel takes on a nasty sharp taste after a while. Normally I drink a lot of water when on a historical trek, & if it rains or I find a water supply then I can refill my costrel. Even so, I would like to know how to get rid of this foul taste in the water, so I have contacted the Reverend & am waiting on a reply. Meanwhile, I thought you might be interested in checking out a post on the Reverend's blog.

http://leatherworkingreverend.wordpress.com/2011/04/03/when-good-pitches-turn-bad/


My Leather costrel.

Two 1730ad costrels.

A late 17th century costrel.

5 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Have you tried baking soda?

Keith said...

Yes Gorges I have. In fact I had it soaking before I left on the weekend, & I have renewed it since I got back & it is soaking again in baking powder.
I noticed in the article something about filling the costrel with cheap wine. I did not know there was a CHEAP wine! But I may have to try it.
Regards, Keith.

Martin said...

Hi Loup!

If all else fails, try a diluted bleach solution, and apply a new coating of pitch to the inside.

Let us know what works and keep us posted.

All the best,

Martin

Joel said...

I am not sure why it should do that, but then I have no experience of using pitch, though, was it proper brewer's pitch they used or some sort of epoxy?.. I have 3 leather bottles, all of which where dipped into hot beeswax and have no taste, although there is a faint smell of the beeswax when drinking, which I personally find pleasant. I also have some leather mugs which are beeswaxed and no problems of taste.

Keith said...

Martin. Thanks Martin, I will work my way through these ideas & yes I will let you know. Much appreciated.

Joel. Thanks Joel, I think the beeswax is a good way to go,& I wish they had used it on mine!
My regards to you both.