A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Wednesday 18 August 2010

Flint, Steel, and Tinderbox Fire Lighting. My First you tube Skills Video.

Many times over the past few years I have been asked to produce some skills videos. Well now I actually have a video camera, so here is my first skills video.
Not only is the tinderbox used for making fire, but it is also used for preparing charred tinder. The tinder is simply charred directly in the fire; I stuck a piece of punk wood on the end of a two tine fork and held it in the fire until the surface was charred. I used this same piece of charred punk wood in the following fire lighting demonstration. After the tinder is charred, simply place it in the tinderbox and close the lid. This will smother the smouldering embers.

5 comments:

David R. Reid said...

I have always wanted to see how a tinderbox was used and you have done so in an excellent way. With your knowledge Le Loup I hope there are more demonstrative videos on the way.
Very interesting, Cheers Dave.

Keith said...

Glad you liked it Dave, and yes, I do plan to make some more.
Regards.

murphyfish said...

Hi Keith,
Have to concur with Dave's comment, looking forward to more of the same.
Regards,
John

Unknown said...

is taht tow you used as tinder?

Keith said...

Thanks John. I have to learn how to edit these videos for a better presentation.

Gabriel, I should have mentioned it in the video, will try and do better next time.
I was using "punk wood" for the tinder in the tinderbox, and I used coconut fibre for the kindling.