A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Saturday 21 November 2009

An Account Of A Militia Scout And Skirmish. By Jason McClosky 22nd Of Nov 2009.


Painting By J.W. Filipski.


By Jason McCaskey.



To: TheHeidelbergPeople@yahoogroups.com


The call went out by Conrad Weiser to all of the neighbors of Berks County to assemble at my farm because of Indian raids. I grabbed my musket, oilcloth and blanket, snap sack (with extra clothes and supplies), canteen, enough rations for three days, hatchet, knife, shot pouch, powder horn and enough ball and powder to get me by. Not too long after, my neighbors Brent Schubert, Wilhem Grimm and Kapitain Schmid arrived within a few hours. We were to meet the other parts of our group on the way. Feldwebel Johann and his son Bryce, and Mark met up with us in route.


We were joined on route to the first battle by a detachment of rangers commanded by Kapitain Wulff, which increased our already limited numbers because of the raids. We arrived during the night. We unrolled our oil cloths under a nice stand of pine trees. We fell asleep quickly as we knew that we needed our strength to fight back the Indians and French in battle. We fought well in the first part of the battle, but were pushed back over a ridge back deep into the woods. Our rifles and muskets picked apart the invaders one by one as we fell back. The hunters, as we were called, moved from cover to cover making each shot count. The enemy was far from done, but retreated back from where they came. We knew, however, that the silence would not last. We took the time to take a few deep breaths and replenish our bodies with rations and water that our body much needed.


The afternoon grew closer. We knew that the enemy would the quiet of the woods and slowly push their way back into our sights of our rifles and muskets. We slowly crept through the woods, up and down ravines and hills. It was a beautiful sight. The wind was blowing the trees. It was peaceful, but not for long. We met another forward detachment of the French and natives. We had no sympathy for the natives after what they have done to many of the homes and people of this area. Once again the rifles and muskets shot out with precision. The years of hunting game in these woods was paying off. A few times the natives and French came close. Our hunting teams or "Jagdgesellschaften, challenged them with ball and swan shot. The swan shot was devastating, and our riflemen were taking shots at long range when needed. We thought that we had them beaten back, but I would soon find out I was mistaken.


We crept even further in the woods, one by one, our eyes scanning each tree, bush and snag for any movement. Each one of us shielded by our hunting partner, moved anxiously forward. Kapitain Schmid sent the rangers to our left flank, to shield our numbers. Like the Heidlebergers, they moved with quiet precision, making sure that no sound came from them moving forward. The woods, usually full of life, suddenly fell silent. We looked at each other knowing that we may have found the intruders. Shots rang out to our left, knowing that the rangers met some resistance. Kapitain Schmid silently gave signals to each hunting group to be ready. He sent Feldwebel Johan and Bryce to the right along with Mark and Schubert. Each hunting group was ready with ball and swan shot. Even with or small numbers, the savages met their end one by one. This was my first true skirmish, and it would not be forgotten. Suddenly we were rushed by a handful of savages on our left. I found myself face to face with a red savage swinging a club screaming like a thousand devils had come for me. I was struck in the head, knocked to the ground, and I believed that I may have met the end that so many of our German brethren have met during the bloody raids. Fortunately for me, my hunting partner, Herr Grimm and Kapitain Schmid were near. I did not know what was happening, as I was knocked unconscious and feared dead. The savage met a fitting end, as he was punished for attacking me by fascine and axe blade. The remaining savages were either wiped out by musket and rifle fire, blades and axes, or retreated farther into the woods. The Heidelbergers and Wulffs rangers held their ground to the invaders. We did what we had to do to win the day. We now have some time to reflect on what had just happened as the light starts to fade into the deep woods, eat rations and rest. For me, this was the first time meeting face to face with a red-faced savage. I was lucky this time. My neighbors saved my life this day. Next time, I would know how to handle myself better in battle. We knew that this would not be the last time that we would be meeting the savages. Our lands and neighbors need protection, so when called to meet for a patrol, many Heidelbergers, whether they are a farmer, teacher, apothecary, tradesman, etc, would go when needed.

I think this is a good story/account of a Living History activity. I think stories like these will attract more people into 18th century Living History.
Well done Jason.

No comments: