A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Sunday 20 September 2009

Memoirs of odd adventures, strange deliverances, &c. in the captivity of John Gyles, Esq.1689.

Memoirs of odd adventures, strange deliverances, &c. in the captivity of John Gyles, Esq.1689.
But to our great surprise,
about thirty or forty Indians,'" at that moment, discharged a volley of shot at us, from behind a rising ground, near our barn. The yelling of the Indians, the whistling of their shot, and the voice of my father, whom I heard cry out, "What now! what now!" so terrified me (though he seemed to be handling a gun), that I endeavoured to make my escape. My brother ran one way and I another, and looking over my shoulder, I saw a stout fellow, painted, pursuing me, with a gun, and a cutlass glittering in his hand which I expected every moment in my brains. I soon fell down, and the Indian seized me by the left hand. He offered me no abuse, but tied my arms, then lifted me up and pointed to the place where the people were at work about the hay, and led me that way.
As we went, we crossed where my father was, who looked very pale and bloody, and walked very slowly. When we came to the place, I saw two men shot down on the flats, and one or two more knocked on their heads with hatchets, crying out "0 Lord," There the Indians brought two captives, one a man, and my brother James, who, with me, had endeavoured to escape by running from the house when we were first attacked. This brother was about fourteen years of age.

1 comment:

The Suburban Bushwacker said...

Thanks for taking and interest in my blog, and for taking the time to comment.
I've only had time for a brief look at your site and its fascinating, I've added you to the historical blogs section of my blog roll. Looking forward to conversing with you.
All the best
SBW